The 6 Best Supplements For Hip Pain (2020 Guide)
Want to keep your hip pain under control easily? Here are the 6 best supplements for hip pain that will make you feel better again, without any surgery or expensive treatment.
But you know what’s the best thing?
Most of these supplements are pretty cheap. Price was an important factor in my ranking, because I personally couldn’t afford paying over $50 per bottle every month.
However, I know a few affordable products that work just as well as the ones over $50.
And yes, they’re the biggest part of this list. But don’t worry, I only included supplements that I tried myself, so I know really well how they work.
#1 Recommendation – ProJoint Plus ($29.95)
- Best For: Hip pain caused by osteoarthritis or cartilage problems, like damage or tear. It can also work for inflammation, but it’s not my #1 choice.
Here’s the deal:
I think ProJoint Plus is the best supplement you can get for hip pain. Why? It contains a combination of 8 ingredients that can solve basically any hip problem – inflammation, damage or cartilage tear.
However, I recommend it especially for people with osteoarthritis in the hip (and not only) and cartilage problems.
But what makes it better than the rest is the form of glucosamine it uses. That’s what makes it work much better than any other product, at least in my case. Don’t worry, I will explain it on the whole below.
But first, here are a few things about it:
Ingredients: Glucosamine sulfate, Chondroitin Sulfate, MSM, Turmeric, Boswellia extract, Bromelain, Quercetin, Methionine
How It Works: 9.70 out of 10. It’s not perfect, but it’s very close.
The reason why it’s my #1 choice is because it doesn’t only treat the pain. Yes, this is important, but when you have hip problems, it’s not only the pain bothering. It’s also the stiffness and loss of flexibility.
So here’s what this supplement did for me:
- decreased the pain pretty fast (about 4 days)
- improved flexibility and mobility
- nourished the cartilages
- decreased the stiffness duration
PRICE TIP: You can get it for about $19 fer bottle, instead of $29. First, use my 5% off coupon code from below. What I recommend you to do next is to buy a larger pack, because they will give you one bottle for free and you will also get a bigger discount. That’s how I end up paying about $19 per bottle.
- Varied ingredients, both cartilage rebuilders, anti-inflammatory and antioxidants
- Very high doses overall
- Uses the good form of glucosamine – the sulfate
- Decreased my pain very fast (about 4 days)
- Improved my flexibility considerably, which most supplements can’t do
- Not very cheap (but you can use my tip from below)
- One bottle is enough for only 20 days
What makes it better than the rest: Glucosamine sulfate + Price
ProJoint Plus is the cheapest supplement I know with glucosamine sulfate. That’s what makes it work much better. Most brands use the other form – glucosamine HCl, which is much weaker, according to studies.
However, the substance itself is cheaper, which means a better cost for the producers. Besides, customers aren’t aware of the difference.
But here comes the interesting part. The final price is the same for both supplements with glucosamine sulfate and HCl. That even though the HCl form is much cheaper itself and it’s less effective.
So ProJoint Plus is the cheapest supplement with glucosamine sulfate I know. Besides, I know how effective it is because I tried it myself. That’s why I recommend it – it’s cheap, effective and it helped me a lot more than others.
#2 – Turmeric Plus ($23.95)
- Best For: Hip pain caused by inflammation. How can you tell if it’s inflammation behind? If you hips are more swollen than normally, warm and maybe red (but that’s pretty rare).
Here’s the thing:
This is the best supplement if your hip pain is caused by inflammation.
Turmeric is the strongest anti-inflammatory from a natural source. And this supplement is one of the best products with turmeric, judging after my experience. It’s cheap, effective and easy to take.
In fact, it’s the cheapest supplement that decreased my inflammatory pain almost completely. I used it for rheumatoid arthritis, which was affecting my hips as well, causing pain. So I’m speaking from experience.
Therefore, if your hips are swollen and it’s inflammation causing the pain, this is my #1 recommendation. That especially if you don’t want to spend a fortune on supplements.
Ingredients: Turmeric, Turmeric Extract (Curcuminoides), Bioperine
How It Works: 10 out of 10. But only if your hip pain has an inflammatory source. Otherwise it will help, but not at its best.
What this supplement does is that it reduces inflammatory molecules and decreases the swelling. Once the swelling goes away, so does the pain. It won’t happen overnight, but this supplement started working for me after about 3 days.
Among turmeric supplements, that’s the fastest effect I saw. So here’s what it did for me:
- improved my swollen joints
- decreased the pain considerably (from 7 to 2 in the end)
- reduced the duration of my morning stiffness
PRICE TIP: Just like the previous supplement, you can get a better price for this one too. Use my coupon for 5% off and get the larger pack. You received one bottle for free and a larger discount, so you end up paying about $16 per bottle.
- Very high doses of ingredients
- Contains bioperine, which is essential for a proper absorption of turmeric
- Decreased my pain better and faster than most supplements (in about 3 days)
- I think they have very pure ingredients, compared to other products
- Very cheap
- Doesn’t ship in most European countries
#3 – Joint Advantage Gold ($49.49)
Here’s the deal:
Just like my #1 choice, this supplement also contains a high number of varied ingredients. For this reason, it’s extremely helpful for any kind of hip pain – inflammatory or chronic.
I’ve tried it myself and I was very satisfied – it decreased my pain considerably and pretty fast too.
However, there are 3 reasons why it’s not my #1 recommendation: speed, price and number of pills per day. ProJoint Plus, my top choice, is way above from these points of view.
But excluding this chapters, it’s one of my favorite supplements because it’s has both anti-inflammatory and cartilage rebuilding ingredients.
Ingredients: Glucosamine sulfate, Meriva Phytosome with turmeric, NEM Eggshell Membrane, HerbaZyme Soothing Blend, Boswellia extract, Bovine cartilage
How It Works: 9 out of 10. It decreased my pain pretty well, but it wasn’t as fast as the previous 2.
I noticed an improvement in the first week, but the pills needed a longer time to work at their best (about a month).
One advantage it has is that it can help both inflammatory and osteoarthritis pain. It contains high doses of glucosamine and turmeric, so it can do both jobs properly. However, that’s available for my #1 pick as well.
Best For: Both inflammatory and osteoarthritis pain. It can also help if you have cartilage problems in your hips, because it contains a high dose of glucosamine.
- Great combination of ingredients, both cartilage rebuilders and anti-inflamatory
- Good for both swelling and cartilage problems
- Pills are easy to swallow
- I could feel an improvement from the same week
- You need to take 6 pills per day, which is really uncomfortable
- Doesn’t work as fast as the first 2
- Very expensive – $50 per bottle (I don’t have any coupon this time)
#4 – Super Joint Support ($59.00)
I’m a fan of this supplement in terms of relieving pain. It contains some great ingredients and I could see myself that it really works. So it’s a great product for hip pain, that’s why it’s on this list.
BUT…there’s a but – it’s only “great” in terms of effectiveness. Because it basically does the same thing as the #1 and #3 but it costs a lot more.
In fact, compared to my #1 pick, it costs literally twice! So it’s the kind of supplement I would recommend to someone who prefers to pay more instead of paying less.
You get my point, it’s not a supplement I personally recommend, just because you can get something a bit better for half of the price.
Ingredients: Vitamin Mix, Chondroitin Rich Collagen, Glucosamine Sulfate, Ionic Sea Minerals, MSM, Alpha Lipoic Acid, White Willow Bark Extract
How It Works: 8.80 out of 10. It’s not very fast, but it does its job.
It didn’t only decrease my pain, but it also improved my mobility and strength. The only downside at this chapter is that I needed a bit more to notice an effect (about 1-2 weeks).
Also, at the end of the day, it wasn’t the best supplement I tried. And I mean that in terms of effect. It worked, but it didn’t relieve my pain best of all.
Best For: Hip pain caused by osteoarthritis and cartilage problems. It doesn’t contain high doses of anti-inflammatory, so it won’t be very effective if your hips are painful due to swelling.
- Great ingredients, some of them are brand ingredients
- Pills are very easy to swallow
- Doesn’t only decrease the pain, it also rebuilds cartilages and improves flexibility
- One of the most expensive supplements I bought
- You need to take 4 pills per day
- Its official website has 2 versions and one of them looks really suspicious (I wouldn’t buy from it)
#5 – Instaflex ($49.95)
Here’s the thing:
Instaflex is one of the most popular supplements for joint and hip pain. It’s been on the market for a long while, so I’m not surprised.
The supplement itself is pretty good.
It contains some anti-inflammatory, but not in high doses. So I wouldn’t recommend it for inflammatory hip pain, only for OA or cartilage problems. I tested it out for knee pain, but there’s basically no difference.
However, its main downside is price. Compared to some of my previous choices, it’s extremely expensive. Besides, it’s not as good as them when it comes to effectiveness. But if you’re willing to pay the $50 price, it’s not a bad supplement at all.
How It Works: 8.50 out of 10. It did decrease my pain, but not my swelling.
Though it contains both anti-inflammatory and cartilage rebuilders, it didn’t do anything for inflammation. I’m only talking about my case.
So it decreased my knee pain (which was caused by OA) and improved my flexibility a bit. From this point of view, things were great. But it didn’t do anything for my swollen joints. So that’s the reason I wouldn’t recommend it if your hip pain has an inflammatory cause.
The doses aren’t that high, so maybe that’s why it didn’t help me.
Best For: Hip pain caused by cartilage damage and osteoarthritis.
- Really good ingredients, some have high doses
- Both cartilage rebuilders and anti-inflammatory
- Really works for OA pain
- You can find lots of reviews about it, since it’s been on the market for a long while
- Very expensive (not worth it, in my opinion)
- Didn’t decrease my inflammation, despite containing anti-inflammatory
- You have to take all 3 pills together, else the effect won’t be that good
#6 – Smarter Nutrition Curcumin ($40.00)
So here’s the deal:
This is one of the best turmeric supplements I know, but it’s also one of the priciest ones.
Just like the #1, it’s the kind of product that works better for inflammatory hip pain. So if you think there’s swelling causing your pain, Smarter Nutrition’s Curcumin may come in handy.
Its special formula uses softgels instead of regular pills, so that’s the secret behind. However, I personally didn’t notice any difference between this supplement a regular turmeric one. I’m speaking in terms of relieving pain.
That’s why this supplement is only in the 6th place – you could get the same relief for less money.
Ingredients: Curcumin C3 Reduct, Black Cumin Seed Oil, Ginger Root Extract, AstraGin
How It Works: 9 out of 10. But that’s only for inflammatory hip pain.
The softgels themselves work great, nothing I can complain about. They relieved my swelling and decreased my pain pretty shortly, after about 1 week.
So in terms of effectiveness, they’re as good as my #1 pick, which is another turmeric supplement. However, Smarter Nutrition’s curcumin has a much better ingredient list, but that wasn’t visible in my case. It didn’t work any better than the #2, so that’s why it’s not higher on this list. Besides, it’s a lot more expensive.
Best For: Hip pain caused by inflammation and swelling.
- Really good ingredients, but some are pretty unusual for a turmeric supplement
- Oil based, so it doesn’t need any bioperine
- Pills are easier to swallow
- It decreased my inflammation and pain pretty well
- Pretty expensive for a turmeric supplement. I don’t recommend it because you can get the same effect for a much lower price
6 Best Supplements For Hip Pain
So these are the top products I tried throughout the years. Each of them can make a great choice, depending on the cause of your hip pain. I tried to divide them into 2 categories:
- Supplements for inflammatory hip pain
- Supplements for osteoarthritis hip pain
No matter how your pain feels, it surely belongs to one of these 2 categories. So I suggest you to choose the product you need according to this tip. In this way, you will surely make the most of its effect.
– So if your pain is caused by swelling and inflammation, I recommend you something based on turmeric.
It’s the best anti-inflammatory, and if you choose the right product, you can make the most of this herb for very little money.
– On the other hand, if you are older, your pain is probably caused by osteoarthritis.
In this case, glucosamine supplements are a life-saver for you. Only make sure to choose a product with glucosamine sulfate, not HCl, because that’s what made the difference in my case.
Now I would like to hear from you:
- What’s the kind of supplement you’ve used before (if any)?
- What kind of hip pain do you have?
- What’s your budget?
If you have any doubt, question or comment about these supplements, let me know in the comment section below. I will do my best to help!